Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Secret Revealed

Morning light
Taken in the early morning soon after sunrise...
Enjoy the photos and videos on my flickr page (click here)

So I finally made it to the Bee Heaven Organic Produce Farm here in Homestead, Florida. Like I had previously stated, I had planned to stay one night, then head to the Keys. However, It was obvious for me as soon as I got here that this would be a chance recharge my vital energy with the earth and reconnect again with the cycles of nature... as I approached the barn on the back of the property, riding on the gravel road with lush vegetation on both sides, felt just like my childhood in Brazil... When I met everyone here and dove right into the work at hand, I noticed that this is what I was craving while in Miami - wholesome living in touch with Mother Earth -, I then decided to stay and work through the weekend to get a better feel of the farm.

Mixed green
The secret of the mixed green salad found at your local store revealed... plant all of the varieties together!

It was a great pleasure to work the last few days, we had several communal meals and lots of interesting interactions. Today (Sunday) Is more relaxed, some people went to the Farmer Market, and the rest have the day off. Therefore Miguel and Diana will come for a visit from Miami.

Packing line
Every Friday, is packing day. To your left is all the produce of that will be in the weekly box. To your right is a roller were the boxes go by and each worker places 1 or 2 item inside. At the end of the line the boxes are shut and stacked in the refrigerated truck. Hard work but FUN...

Margie is the head of the farm and organizer of the local C.S.A. (Community Supported Agriculture) where share holders support local organic farming by paying in advance. They get a weekly box of fresh, local organic produce. This way the farmer can invest money in the crop before hand, and the consumer enjoys seasonal veggies and fruits delivered to their local pick up site. Thanks Margie for making a difference and also opening your door to friendly people that want to learn/work with the land. All the people that work here, are great and unique individuals. John, Shannon, Muriel, Patrick, Ariel, Stephanie, Herlinda and Jesus. Thank you for for welcoming me to the farm and trading stories together.

John and the knife
John was cutting some strawberries, the evening quickly approaching, as the last few shards of light peeked through the barn door.
Enjoy the photos and videos on my flickr page (click here)

I'm happy to say the Saturday evening we gathered around and I gave an introduction to the Alexander Technique workshop to my fellow co-worker. I felt great to share this with friend who could really use the work. I hope to be able to share this knowledge with other people I meet on this Journey!

Prince
This friendly toad was hanging out with the beats, when Shannon spotted it and with the help of John and Patrick. It was named Prince.

No comments: