Tuesday, November 11, 2008

South Carolina the state of smiling faces :-)

November 9th, Pageland to Camden, SC

This morning as I was on church property getting ready to hit the road I was greeted by lots of friendly people as they arrived for the Sunday morning service. My legs were still sore, especially the right one,
So off I went into the deepness of South Carolina on route 601. I strolled into a all you can eat lunch and I thought that was heaven sent just for me, a starving cyclist. The food was great and I talked with lots of people as I was the only one to sit out side. Kim and her family payed for my lunch, as they were really enthusiastic and wanting to help me along the way, The only reason I did not go to their home was that they live a bit too close and I wanted to go further down the road. With two sore legs I managed to arrive in Camden, where after visiting the library I search a lot to find a place to crash but no luck. Shortly after sun down I saw that I would not find a place to camp so I walked in to the Camden Motel and I treated myself to a well deserved bath and a bed to sleep, after all I ran out of options that night.

November 10, Camden to Lexington

On the way from Camden to Columbia, I stopped at a local bike shop to get a little gear tune-up and get a few bike parts for the road. Crossing Columbia was nice and as I reached Lexington, I walked in to this wonderfully looking farmers market shop with a great atmosphere. Amongst everyone, there was Clinton, who graciously offered his farm house's lawn to camp, and after talking with him he told me about the struggles of being a farmer, and how a few years back he gave up the farm, he now does a corn maze every year that attracts people country wide to his farm. He claims to have started "farming people instead of farming the land" Good for him!


November 11, Lexington to Aiken, SC

What a great day, everything was smooth, I realized that I need to get on the road earlier in the morning, cause after the time change last week, sun set in at 5:20 and I need to start scouting for a place the sleep around 3pm. so my day is much shorter and less time to ride and enjoy...
I got to Aiken and met Nicole, who was writing and singing on her porch so I stopped by to chat. and we talked about many things, she told me to come to the New Moon Cafe. So I did and here I am, writting this blog. I met Travis, who works here and offered me to camp on his yard tonight, it is nice to have some time to sit down and relax, online... Peace out


No comments: