Monday, November 17, 2008

The long haul to Florida

While I was in McRae, GA, I carefully studied the map and saw that if I was to haul two longer days, I would get to Tallahassee, Florida by Sunday night, instead of Monday (the original plan).
Saturday morning, as almost all the rain had fallen and the sky was opening up towards the south, I biked 71 miles to Tifton, GA and stayed at Earl and June's (thanks for everything:-) back yard underneath a loaded persimmon tree ("caquizeiro"). It was quite nice to see such a tropical fruit a plenty, in front of me, It made me feel like I was actually getting somewhere.

The second haul came the following morning, I was expecting to arrive at Susan's home in Tallahassee between 4 and 5 pm. It was a blue sky and windy day, so I was able to pedal as hard as I wanted without sweating too much (a luxury I know I won't have in the southern hemisphere) I traveled 80 miles Sunday, into the state of Florida.

I will stay here for a few days to recharge and fatten up a bit (thanks to the Gunter family), I have been leaning towards my original route, which was to try and get to Cuba. If this is so I would cycle south on some more until reaching Miami.
In between here and there I would like to do some WWOOFing and I'm contacting some farms as we speak to see if we could work something out...

What I need from you, the reader, in opinions and ideas as to how I would go about in getting on a boat that would eventually hit Cuba.

If this idea fails terribly, there is always Cancun. but I think the Texas route is out of mind...

No comments: