Friday, February 27, 2009

Sahalee Sail

Another week has gone by, lots of advances and some unexpected discoveries on the big’ol Quick Silver.

The good part is that I’ve been getting more familiar with the sailing and very familiar with my new franco-family: Pat, Mê, Paci… getting to find out all the family dynamic and seeing where I can fit in to complement and stay out of the way when it is none of my business.

night scene in the porch

Captain Billy

Enjoy the photos and videos on my flickr page (click here)

I joined Billy and his friends for a sail with his boat "Sahalee" this past Thursday. It was quite a windy day and the sea, while not bigger then 4 feet, the waves were not far apart, which made for quite a choppy ride. Ups and downs, I started to feel very heavy and ultimately, useless. That was followed by a strong sense of upset stomach as I decided to relocate my carcass to the stern (back) of the ship as I prepared for the inevitable... As I lay there, I had time and creativity to make up and sing some lyrics to a blues melody that played in my head. I love these moments of “creativity V.S. vulnerability”.

IMG_5211

Port side of Sahalee
Enjoy the photos and videos on my flickr page (click here)

As my final moments of integrity drew to a close, I began to pollute the deep blue waters with a mixture of bile and that morning’s breakfast. In between each upward throttle of my stomach, I seamed to find the energy to shout in amusement of the situation and pure physical relief!

Sea Me

Me recovering...
Enjoy the photos and videos on my flickr page (click here)


The rest of the ride was even better and we put up the jib (front sail) so we were moving twice as fast and soon we entered the Boot Key Harbor from where we had left several hour back. That was a good day to learn many realities of sailing, and when Melanie offers me some tricks to prevent sea-sickness I will gladly accept such a gracious offer. Thanks in advance Mê.]



So it is looking like there is a window opening up Tuesday or Wednesday. If all goes well, we will set sail at that time. However during this month I have been disillusioned several times, as I was always thinking that we would leave and every time ended up staying longer. Above everything, the last 3 months, especially February, has been a great lesson of PATIENCE. Every few days it surprised me again, to find out that I had been deceived once again. I saw this as a learning opportunity and concluded that patience is indeed a virtue.

Compass
Enjoy the photos and videos on my flickr page (click here)

Blessings to all…



No comments: