Sunday, February 1, 2009

The End of the Road

Everyone had told me that a cold front was coming in on Friday afternoon, and that it would be windy. However I was set on riding to Key West that day. I left at 9h00 and there was strong headwind the whole way. The sun was very hot and I felt my skin burning after a few hours... The cold front came as promised and at 13h40m there was a heavy down pour of rain, as I rushed to put on my rain gear I noticed that cars seam to honk at you more, as if saying "Good luck!", "Be careful" or "These crazy cyclist!". I like riding in the rain, it is a whole different world when it is all wet!
Storm Ahead
There was a huge tropical rain shortly after this shot was taken
Enjoy the photos and videos on my flickr page (click here)

I arrived in Key West and had a little accident causing me to fall off my bike, I didn't get any cuts or bruises, but my bike suffered some damages, the front brakes were bent then broke off, so I'll probably need to replace the front fork which will be over my budget, but I have the feeling I better do it while I'm still in the States. Any thoughts? I've called a couple of places here and there is this guy who specializes in fixing quality bikes, I'll see what he has to say. I would like to go to marathon the latest on Tuesday, so I can be close to "Quick Silver" and help them in preparation of crossing to Cuba...

Key West Hip Shot Series
These tourist trains, ride all over town. Reminds me of childhood vacations in Guarapari, Brasil - It appears Santa takes his vacation in Key West!!
Enjoy the photos and videos on my flickr page (click here)


Thanks to Katrina's networking job, John and Jacob are hosting me at their beautiful state here in downtown Key West. Thank you both for your friendship and generosity!

Swimming Pond
a more artistic approach to photographing this peaceful pond garden...
Enjoy the photos and videos on my flickr page (click here)

Key West is a Beautiful Big town / Small Town feel, kind of Town. In the main Streets like Duval, it feels you are walking in downtown Manhattan, with lots of people/turists, light, pubs, cars, bikes etc... But as soon as you turn the corner into a side street, you are transported back to beautiful Victorian age homes, and an intimates feeling with your neighbours. It seams everyone rides a bicycle as the city is full of bike lanes and you could rent a bike in just about every corner.
Key West Hip Shot Series
Duval Street, early Saturday afternoon...
Enjoy the photos and videos on my flickr page (click here)


No comments: