Thursday, February 17, 2011

Over the mountains into the desert...

Ranchita, CA

I left Escondido late on Tuesday morning and as I cycled eastbound I saw the time ticking and the sun almost on the horizon. I still had another 20 miles to go, so started to stick my thumb out on the road every time a truck drove by. Soon after I got picked up by Joane who took me into Borrego Springs, a little cozy town that sits right in the middle of Anza Borrego Desert State Park. Joane took me to her friend Dana's place who offered me the guest room, that night I was cozy and comfortable indoors. Thank you.

flowers
desert flowers

The next morning, I was up and about and hit the road by 9hr. Had a wonderful 30 mile ride with the wind on my back thus making for great average speed of 17m/27km per hour...
When I reached HWY 86 at the bottom of the valley, was when I started to fear for my life. It was a busy HWY with decent shoulder lane but now the wind that was once on my back, was now swiftly pushing me off the road and to maintain myself on it I had to work very hard tilting myself toward the traffic... imagine that for a minute... now just add the big 18 wheeler trucks zooming past me at great speeds. With in a split second I had to counter balance the vacuum suction pulling me into the road...
There were no service roads to be found and I cycled about half an hour with a few close calls.

Anza Borrego Desert State Park
Perfect spot for your RV...

I'm glad I have a responsible side that decided to hitch a ride. Shortly there after I got picked up by these Canadian, Al & Beulah. Had a friendly conversation and they decided to drop me off at the Flying Disc Ranch.

Anza Borrego Desert State Park
Anza Borrego Desert

thanks for reading... stay tuned...

Enjoy the photos and videos on my flickr page (click here)

No comments: