Thursday, February 3, 2011

LA to San Diego

Riding up Topanga Canyon
Riding up the Topanga Canyon

Wow So I spend 5 days in LA. Four of which was at Woodland Hills. I did some bike riding around there but not to much to see besides fast moving cars and shopping centres. My hosts were Pasha and Peter a brother of my mom's friends husband... Great connection as I also had stayed at his sister's home in Tallahassee, FL two years ago. I also got the pleasure to meet Pasha's good friend Cindy. Thanks guys

Peter's Garden
Peter's Garden

Riding between Santa Monica and Woodland Hills was a nice ride. Going north through Topanga Canyon Road was a lot of steep hills till to summit. Probably around 3 hours. The other way is around these mountains on Sepulveda Blvd, though a bit longer ride, it is well worth it cause there are basically no hills. One night I went to a yoga party in Santa Monica, and rode back this way at 1 in the morning to Woodland Hills. What a ride that was, 2 hours of pure adrenaline arriving at home around 3am.

Thomas on his bike
Thomas on his bike

On the last day I decide to pack things up and go to Santa Monica to get a head start in the morning I ventured into trying to fond a place to stay by talking with people... I meet Thomas while riding on the Beach Bike Trails what a friendly friend! I also met Rob at the beach and later at his house I met his wife Gisele. Thanks for you generosity, I had a great time with y'all.

IMGP0785
Beach Bike Trail

The Following morning I got on the road southbound, actually the bike trail on the beach. what a wonderful ride that was. After a long day 62m/100km I decided to take a bus into San Clemente As it was getting really close to sunset and I had another 20 or so miles left. On the bus I meet Alura who helped me out alot by giving me a ride to the state park so I could camp. Thanks Justin and Alura.

IMGP0824
Justin and Alura

IMGP0831
View from my tent at dusk

Day two I biked through Camp Pendenton, a Marines base, and reached Oceanside, where after having lunch I met Cruiser Bob. I lively man that had cycled around the world twice on his bike and now day rides around on his electrically assisted bike... We spend about 1 hour chatting and biking together...

IMGP0883

The rest of the ride was pretty straight forward once Sam a friendly stranger, gave my a cycling map of San Diego...

On the Road
Beach north of San Diego

Enjoy all of the photos and videos on my flickr page (click here)

No comments: