Thursday, May 28, 2009

IC Phase Debriefing

I've been on land for the last five days with some really special friends; Andy, Anna and Family. The time I will spend here is of significant importance as it is a good time and place to stop, reflect and direct my intentions on the roads to come.

Vivid Clouds
Vivid Clouds at Swan Island

We sailed for Seventy-two days from the Florida Keys, across the gulf stream, cruised along the Northwest and Southwest shores of Cuba, then headed southbound to the Grand Cayman and crossed the Caribbean Sea to arrive here - Roatan, Honduras. This entire sailing trek was an incredibly inspiring, intensely humbling and a life changing experience for me as the situations I encountered compelled me to stretch all of my limits - physical, intellectual, emotional and spiritual.

Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman pre-sunset

On board there were relationships I strove to build and find common ground, but often failed to suffice its demands - While there were lots of other challenges with sailing techniques and the sea life in general - I find that these were my hardest challenges at sea.



I can say that I have improved my skills as a listener, I learnt to listen way more than I talk. I have also learnt that even though our society depends on it - time is irrelevant. Of course, I can now say that I know how to sail and that will be very valuable when trying to crew on other boats. On the other hand I have to admmit that it was very leberating to have all my gear on two wheels between my legs on solid ground again. I would like to extend once again a huge thank you to Patrick, Melanie and PaciphaƩe for taking me across the seas, helping me on such a vital part of my journey. Merci Beaucoup!!!

This marks a big milestone for Infinity Cycle as I begging a brand new continent. I think that I'm starting to have some weight to my word after having travelled over 7000km/4500mi. I feel that I can give myself a couple of weeks off, so I will stay here for a bit than gently make my way into the land, where I will be joined by Luiza for a week get-away in the mountains of Honduras. After which on the 15th of June I will be hitting the road toward Nicaragua, and hope to be in Panama by mid July to look for a ride to Colombia. It is a good feeling to have the power to move yourself at your own speed. I'm very excited to start this new phase!

Hi Five
hi-five over the corals

I've been working hard these days to put the site up to date. Now you can check the map to see where I have been with some proximate dates and distances.

I wanted to bring special attention as well to some videos I have posted on you tube about my experience at the "Rincon de los Milagros" in Havana.







For those of you who want to reach me, I'll be on skypolandia the next few days.

Total Distance Travelled: 7321km / 4549mi
by sailboat: 2433km / 1368nm
by bike: 4888km / 3037mi







View Infinity Cycle in a larger map
Up to date map, tracing my travels from Toronto to Honduras

o mi/km - Toronto, ON - Oct 6th, 08
563mi/907km - New York City - Oct 17th, 08
2268mi/3651km - Miami, Fl - Dec 2nd, 08
3038mi/4889km - La Habana, Cuba - Mar 19th, 09
3975mi/6398km - Cayo Largo, Cuba - May 5th, 09
4143mi/6668km - Georgetown, CI - May 12th, 09
4549mi/7321km - Roatan, Honduras - May 21st, 09



Enjoy the photos and videos on my flickr page (click here)

No comments: